Tuesday 8 November 2011

Western Cape 2

When we arrived back at Jo’berg airport from the Western Cape, I noticed that my bag had been opened after I checked it in. At that stage it didn’t appear that anything was missing, however the next day I discovered that my camera had been stolen.  Fortunately I had downloaded all of the photos that morning so I didn’t lose any of my ‘memories’.  Ah well, I guess I will have to go shopping again!  Bummer!  Anyway I have spent the last couple of days getting to know Pretoria, which for me is pretty scary as I don’t do cities very well.  I guess comparing Tzaneen to Pretoria is like comparing Katherine to Sydney.
The other night we went to one of Anna’s Friend’s places for ‘bunny chows’.  I had read about bunny chows before I came to South Africa and wanted to really try them, but I didn’t find anywhere in Limpopo that made them.  What is a bunny chow I hear you ask?  Basically it is a loaf of bread hollowed out and filled with a savoury filling.  Anna’s friend, who is Indian South African, cooked us lamb curry to go inside.
I brought a new camera on Friday, however when I got home the charging cable was missing.  On Monday I took the camera back and they couldn’t find the original cable so they gave me a multi cable adaptor for free.  Anyway last night when I went to connect the new cable it didn’t fit.  So back to the shop this morning and they are getting the correct cable in for me.  I offered to pay for the multi cable as it can be used for charging my IPOD, phone and speakers simultaneously from my car cigarette lighter, however the manager told me I could keep it for free as they had already written it off.  It was priced at R300.00, so I was happy.  Can’t complain about the service.
Anyway, in the meantime here are some more photos of the Western Cape.
A poster at the start of the Outineque Choo Tjou train ride which I thought rather amusing!

The view of the water at Mussel Bay, which was one of the original trading settlements on the South African coast.  Mussel Bay had an amazing craft shop, with local artists working on the premises, so I brought a lot of presents here.

The view down from the Outineque Choo Tjou as it went into the Outineque Pass.

Anna and the Outineque Choo Tjou at our turn around point.

Anna and I at Outineque Pass.

Kasey, Anna and I enjoying wine and nibbles at our stop on the Outineque Choo Tjou ride.  Kasey is Anna's friend from the USA and basically brought the two of us together.

2 comments:

  1. Magnificent scenery yet again. Pity about the camera saga...maybe you need a little lock on your bag. Well...what did the "bunny chow" taste like? It sounds delicious.

    Stay Safe...Lots of Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not overly fussed by the camera as the new one is the one I wanted to buy originally, but couldn't get in Tzaneen.

    The bunny chows were great. You pull apart the loaf by hand and eat the bread flavoured with the curry as you go.

    Love you all, Gary

    ReplyDelete