Tuesday 1 November 2011

Mapungubwe Elephants

Yes, I know more elephants but I can’t help myself.  However, these ones are different, they are ‘rock’ elephants.  I came across a herd of females and calves in amongst all of the sandstone valleys and outcrops on one of the 4WD tracks.  There were dozens of them, all over the place.  Every turn I took I ran into more elephants and at one stage the car was totally surrounded and there was nothing I could do but sit there with the engine off and take photos.  The adults were aware of me and every time one of the calves would get too close to the car (less than 5 m), one of the adult females would push it away, literally like a bulldozer.  Anyway as I didn’t have many photos of calves, or herds in general, I couldn’t help myself but take more photos.
A Couple of the elephants grazing with the sandstone ridge in the background.

The herd was all females and calves. Here is one of the calves.

The calf on the road.

A mother/Aunt keeping an eye on me.

Mother and calf.

Mothers/Aunts and calves.

Same as above, moving slowly.

For all you Australians!  Elephants and windmill.

The 'rock elephants' moving up the valley.

1 comment: