Saturday 13 August 2011

Giraffes

Well just got back in from an all night observation post on the plains.  We have a perfect poacher’s moon at the moment, in that it is full and up all of the night hours, so the night is almost like daylight.  No evidence of any poachers attempting to enter however.  The poacher we were tracking on 8 Aug had been wearing walking boots, which is unusual for the locals here, so his tracks were very distinctive.  Anyway, the other day we were visiting some of the surrounding locations off the farm when I spotted an individual wearing walking boots, after checking his spoor (footprints), I identified them as the same pattern.  When we confronted the individual it turned out he was someone known to the others and long suspected of poaching.  Therefore after a friendly chat to him about the consequences of me finding his footprints on our farm again, I think the message has gone out again not to try and poach on SanWild.  We will see over the coming week.

As Ms Dig has a thing for Giraffes, and not a lot has happened in the last 24 hr, I thought I would post a collection of Giraffe pictures taken over my last two months here.

One of the Girraffe herds on the Farm.

The same herd, with Spitzkop (literally point head) in the background.  Spitzkop is the dominant terrain feature.

Girraffe mother and calf watching us go by.

Bull Giraffe walking through the bush.

1 comment:

  1. How cool! Thank you. I look forward to seeing some 'in the flesh' when we come to visit.

    Love,
    Ms. Dig.

    ReplyDelete