Monday 15 August 2011

Miscellaneous

Well the weather has turned here in the last couple of days and it has started raining.  Really miserable!  It is a good thing I finally got my first parcel back from South African Customs with my raincoat in it.  After my requested re-assessment of the import duty, it went from R2 300.00 (about $380.00) to R30.00 (about $4.00).  Go figure?  I still haven’t got the other parcel sent on the same day by surface mail.  Maybe the sailing ship hit a reef and sank?  I am sure I am going to have the same battle with Customs over this one.
Anyway, life goes on over here, a bit like ground hog day at the moment, guard duty and listening posts every night.  We have started to get out onto the neighbouring farms a bit at the moment to get a feel for the poacher access routes, and may well start ambushing on these farms in the near future.
One of the things that goes a bit “under the radar’ here are all of the common animals that tend not to make it onto the wildlife documentaries.  There are squirrels everywhere and tend to fill the niche of ‘Australian possums’ in that they live in the roof and raid the kitchen for any food that’s left out.  Also things like rabbits and hares abound, I guess the small predators have to have something to eat?
I have attached a few other ‘random’ wildlife pictures for your enjoyment.
Vervet Monkey in a typical Low Veldt tree.

The only photo I have of a Mountain Reedbuck (very elusive).  I will keep trying.

Another 'Wildebeest in motion' shot.  The herd followed the Reedbuck above after we spoked it.

Nyala (a type of antelope) Buck.

Nyala buck and doe.

No comments:

Post a Comment