Wednesday 31 August 2011

Off Work and Before

Sorry for not posting recently but I have been off work sick and haven’t felt like being sociable (or posting).  Nothing serious, just the usual stuff and a few days and rest has done me wonders.  The days leading up to me getting sick were all fairly busy and a bit of a variation on ‘ground hog day’.  One day Charles (our young Englishman) and I did a fenceline patrol up in one of our hilly sectors up behind an active gold mine.  There was some thought that maybe the mine workers may have been coming on to our property to poach, but no evidence was found.  I quickly discovered why we don’t bother patrolling this area, as no poacher in their right mind would try and get in there!  Mind you, I couldn’t believe it when we found elephant droppings on top of one of the hills (they obviously like rock climbing as a pastime?).  During the walk I somehow managed to split the sole on one of my boots, so I have ordered another pair from Australia.  I know it doesn’t look much in the photo, but it goes right through.
Charles taking a well earned drink after walking the fenceline in the background (we were only about half way through the patrol).


Charles and the venerable old single shot shotgun.  If you look closely in the centre of the photo you can see a straight line heading towards the horizon.  That is our fenceline, and where we have just walke from.
It's a bit hard to see but the split is just toe side of the 'vibram' brand.  Next time I am in Tzaneen the 'Mr Minute' equivalent has said they can put new soles on, so I will also give that a go.



One other day we went to do a liaison visit to the caretakers of a nearby ‘ghost town’, which in the past (before my time) has been an access point to the Farm for poachers, to see how things were going.  The pub in the town has only been abandoned for about two and a half years, and the caretaker was showing us around when we found a metaphorical gold mine!  In the back of the old pub was a pool table and dart board.  The caretaker, who had been roughed up a few months ago by some people after money extended an invitation to us to come there whenever we want, as having us around makes him feel a bit more secure. I also think he enjoys the company.  I think we may adopt it as our social club!
Anyway, bye for now, I should be back to being bit more regular with my posts now.

Gary, the pool shark, in the back room of the old pub at Leydsorp.  What a find!

The team enoying a break and a game of pool.  Pele, the caretaker is second from the left.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you're back on your feet. Will call you soon.

    ReplyDelete