Friday 12 August 2011

Thorns

A few times now I have mentioned that everything in the South African Bush has thorns.  Standing on a road looking at the bush over here it doesn’t look that much different from your typical Australian Savannah Woodland, except for the plant species being slightly different.  However, once you get into it, you find that just about every plant or tree has thorns!  I thought I would post a few pictures to show you what it is like.
A knobthorn tree, so named because each of those knobs has a thorn (like a rose) at its peak.  This is the most common tree, therefore the one mos ofthe elephants push down.




Notwithstanding the thorns, the Low Veldt bush over here is just amazing and I have really fallen in love with the place.  Of course the animals are absolutely amazing as well.  It is like living in a David Attenborough documentary.  Every day (or usually night) I see something new, but unfortunately often cannot get photos of the animals because they are so fleeting or at night.
All my love to family and friends back home in Australia.
Gary

No comments:

Post a Comment