Thursday 1 September 2011

The Monkeys

No, not the 1960’s pop group, but Vervet Monkeys.  We have a few troops of them on the Farm and as you would expect they can be quite inquisitive and mischievous.  The last 24 hr has resulted in a few encounters, with the photos from the main troop below.  We were about to do a sweep for snares at a place called Vervet Monkey Waterpoint, and behold the Monkeys turned up t have a look at us.
We also have a troop that hangs around Bukisa Camp, especially around my tent as it is a bit away from the others.  If you look at the photo below you can see a large tree at the back of my bathroom with a branch hanging over my tent.  The monkeys have a special game that they seem to like to play whenever I am trying have a sleep during the day!  They climb up the tree, then along the branch and jump down on my tent roof to run back to the tree.  Generally they will keep this up until I go outside and shout at them, so they run away.  Needless to say my nap is ruined.  Also I have to be careful about what I leave out in my tent as they are quite happy to go in when I am not there and sort through my stuff.  I came back this morning after being out all night to find some mandarin peel I had left in the rubbish strewn all around the tent.
A young Vervet monkey looking at those big hairless apes in the big white box.

Part of the troop in a tree watching us again.

For those of you who studied paleoanthropology (Ms Dig and associates!) this monkey is providing us with a demonstration of the early stages o bipedalism.  Interestingly each of the monkeys stopped at the edge of the track, stood up, looked right and left, then proceded out onto the road.

A baboon had just called and all of the monkeys were instantly on the alert looking around like this one.

A couple of monkeys on the track coming to investigate us.

My tent showing the large tree at the right which the monkeys love to use as a platform to launch themselves onto my roof. 

No comments:

Post a Comment