Tuesday 4 October 2011

An African Storm

Having lived in the Top End of the NT for so long I have seen a few ripper storms, and even a few cyclones, however yesterday I experienced my first South African wet season storm which definitely outstripped most that I have been in.  Initially there was some thunder and the power went out, so it was just like the wet season back home.  Then the wind came up and a huge dust storm started.  At this stage I opened my door to have a look what was going on, and copped a face full of dust, so I quickly closed the door and watched through the window.  All of sudden it started hailing, in the dust storm, with the strong wind.  To give you an idea of how strong the wind was, I watched it blow over a brick fence at the back of the Lodge.  I can honestly say I have never seen a brick fence blown over by the wind before!  I did wonder why they supplied candles in the room, and now I know why.
Once it stopped raining I checked my car and everything was alright.  It was the first big test for my new plastic storage tubs which contain my clothes and bedding.  Everything stayed bone dry and I think it is unlikely that I will face a worse storm.
I spent today driving around and planning the next few weeks, specifically my visit to Kruger NP, however I made the mistake of not being aware of South African school holidays, which began on Monday.  I spent about an hour ringing most of the campgrounds in Kruger only to be told that they were all fully booked for the holidays.  Therefore plan B is to remain here at the Lantana Lodge in Phalaborwa for the remainder of the week and just do day trips into the park.  This works out OK as I have brought a SANParks Wild Card which gives me unlimited access to SANParks (and affiliated Parks in Botswana, Namibia and Mozambique) for a year.  While the Lantana Lodge is a little bit run down (cracked floors, peeling paint etc), it is very clean, the facilities are grteat and the staff are good.  The lodge hBasically for 45 Australian Dollars a night I am getting a one bedroom flat, complete with full kitchen and a full cooked breakfast in the restaurant, so it is pretty economical.
The Phalaborwa town entrance.

Early in the storm before the wind and rain got to bad.  You can see the back brick fence to the lodge running across the centre of the picture.  Take note of the left side (as you look at it).

Five minutes later the rain is much heavier but you can just make out the fence going over in the centre left of the photo. 

A closer shot of the fence (hole) as the rain started to ease.

The 'fence' now lying on the footpath and adjoining road!

The new 'watertight' tubs in the bakkie (ute).  Also note the 'first' sticker on the back, just to the left of the TOYOTA.  An Aussie Flag!

Part of my $45.00 a night 'room', looking towards the door and kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment