Thursday 6 October 2011

Kruger National Park Day 1

Today was my first visit to Kruger NP and there is nothing else to say but ‘Wow’.  It is absolutely awesome, definitely one of the natural wonders of the world!  I took over 200 photos in one day, a new record for me.  Having worked so closely with animals during my first three months here, I was a bit ambivalent about going to Kruger but it far exceeded my expectations.  While the animals that I saw were generally the same, the numbers of them was outstanding.  I saw more elephants in one day, than I have seen in my whole life, even if I count multiple sightings of the same elephants in the past (Bukisa, Umfumu etc).  I saw one herd of Cape Buffalo which had to be 300 strong at least.  You get the picture!
Kruger NP is approximately 20 000 square km (5 000 km more than Gregory – Judbarra NP were I worked in the NT).  Over the next few days I will be doing the central section from Phalaborwa and I have decided to come back later and do the southern and northern sections, tied in with visits to other nearby areas that I have planned in outline
I am actually a bit nervous about going back tomorrow, as it will be extremely hard to top today.  However, Kruger NP should definitely be on everyone’s bucket list (no I haven’t been sponsored to say this).  Anyway, here are a few pictures of the park.  Further animal pictures will follow once I have sorted them out.

The sign says it all. 'The Phalaborwa Gate'.

One of the hides overlooking a waterhole.  These hides are dotted throughout the Park.

Inside the hide pictured above.  After I had walked along and read all of the 'hand painted' interpretation signs, I then noticed that they are also fold down beds.  People can book in to stay overnight.

Just part of the landscape in the central western part of the Park.  There are 22 different ecosystems in Kruger, this is just one of them.

More landscape.

Pretty clouds in a blue sky!

The Letaba (meaning sandy bed) River valley.

Some interesting 'koppes' (hills) on the horizon.

A really cool Baobab (Boab in Australian) Tree, almost covered in bird's nests, mainly on the left and right in this photo.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to more animal shots. It must be impressive to WOW you like it has.

    Having trouble getting my posts on lately.

    Stay Safe..Lots of Love

    ReplyDelete