Monday 17 October 2011

Mapungubwe National Park

I have arrived in Mapungubwe NP and have had a brief look around the western section, and I have fallen in love with it already.  I am here for four days, which should just be enough.  If you are on the ball, you will note that I am spelling it different from my earlier posts.  Both spellings are used on different signs etc, and this seems to be fairly common in South Africa.  In many ways Mapungubwe reminds me of some of the Top End Parks in Australia.  The population density here is much less than what I have observed in the rest of Limpopo, a lot more like Australia.  Additionally the landforms and vegetation types are very similar.  However, just when you start feeling comfortable, an elephant or giraffe will walk out of the bush.  The campgrounds nice but you have the ever present baboons and monkeys to annoy you.   
I do not have internet connectivity here, so all of these posts about Mungubwe will be pre prepared.
As my camera batteries died today, and of course the spare batteries were in my campsite, I wasn’t able to take many pictures, so here is part 3 of Kruger NP animals:

Impala.

A Waterbuck on the banksof the Letaba River.

More Waterbuck.

A Klpspringer (literally rock jumper), perched on top of a koppe.

No comments:

Post a Comment