Sunday 10 July 2011

Blyde River and the High Veldt

Today I had the day off work, and went on a tour up to the High Veldt and Blyde River Canyon.  We had two very nice Australian guests in the Savannah Camp and I think that Louise from SanWild who was driving the bus asked me to come along to translate for her.  Funnily enough I actually did end up having to explain certain South African phrases and words used in English to the Australians.  Two that spring to mind are ‘quantum’ = a minibus, and ‘oke’ = a person, bloke, guy (not derogatory).
We also stopped at an old 19th century gold rush mining town called Pilgrim’s Rest, which could have been transplanted into any of the gold rush areas in Australia, USA or Alaska (yes I know this is part of the USA) and not looked out of place.  Corrugated iron buildings, pubs and a masons lodge.  Maybe the vervet monkeys climbing all over the buildings though would have been a give away.
Blyde River from a lookout on the high veldt.

Blyde River Canyon.

The 'Pot Holes' at Blyde River canyon.  Formed by water swirling during floods.

Vervet Monkey sitting on the roof at Pilgrim's Rest.

Aloe plants.  Many species of aloes are present up on the high veldt, often in very precarious positions.

Back for an ambush that night, and our first night of rain.  I pulled the ambush out at 2230 as I figured the poachers where not going to be out and miserable like we were!  I hope Ms. Dig posts me my raincoat and hutchie soon!

2 comments:

  1. Yep, I'll post them off before I head to Arnhemland this morning. Quick question first - what's a hutchie?!

    8)

    Much love,
    Ms. Dig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks. Still raining last night and I spent it on rhino guard duty but I found a relatively dry, snug spot. However, a 2 ton rhino doesn't make a very good sleeping companion, they eat all night and consequently burp and fart all night.

    A hutchie is the waterproof sheet to be used as a shelter.

    Love,
    Ranger

    ReplyDelete