Tuesday 19 July 2011

Nocturnal Animals

18 Jul 11
I am referring to the Anti poaching Rangers here! At the moment we are conducting intensive night operations doing all night ambushes, so combined with the poor internet connection I have been unable to post recently. 
One of the advantages about being up all night is that you get to see a lot of cool nocturnal animals up close, but unfortunately no photographs.  So far I have seen a Civet (a native cat, just fractionally larger than a domestic cat), jackals, bats, owls and a lot of impala.  We tend to spend the night being serenaded by the lions and jackals.  I have got to the stage now where I am getting able to pick out the roar of a few individual lions.  There is one dominant male who starts it, and all the others join in. It is a territory and dominance thing.
Dressed for a night ambush.  Yes that is two polartec jackets underneath my shirt.  It is freezing over here at the moment!

As I have not spent a night in my tent for over a week, I thought I would include some photos.

Australia House. My tent at Bukisa Camp, complete with washing!
My bed and office (although recently I have adopted the bar as my office).  Very comfortable really, with its own en-suite bathroom through the tent flap.

No comments:

Post a Comment