Friday 22 July 2011

Not a Lot to Report

I have had a couple of average days, patrolling and conducting night listening posts.  Mind you the elephants are at their tricks again!  Yesterday afternoon we called into the Rehab Centre between our afternoon patrol and occupying our night listening posts to boil the kettle and fill our thermoses (it is still freezing here overnight).  While inside, Umfumu, the bad attitude elephant decided he was not going to let as leave.  Every time we approached the gate he would mock charge to warn us off.  He couldn’t get in and we couldn’t get out, therefore we were bottled up for about an hour until he decided to wander off.  Mind you, after AJ and I occupied our night listening post nearby we could hear him pushing over trees and trumpeting around the area.  As I said a bad attitude!
Unfortunately my camera is playing up at the moment so no new photos.  I took 30 odd photos of a 'composite' group of bok (antelope) last night (before Umfumu bailed us up), which included impala, eland and kudu, but every single one was blurred.  Here are some I ‘prepared earlier’:

Umfumu the 'bad atitude elephant' charging the bakkie (ute).  The photo is blurry because we are diving away as fast as possible!

Bukisa, the dominant male of the heard just after drinking at the camp waterhole, about 75 m from my tent (outside an electric fence).

Bukisa, about to depart.

3 comments:

  1. What's the shopping like in South Africa? You need a new camera.

    Much love,
    Ms. Dig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shopping is good overall in South Africa, basically the same as Australia, however any electronic devices wil have South African plugs.

    Love,

    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the anecdotes about the "Mimi". I had no idea elephants were so mischievous; I guess it's "just because we can";.......Stay safe...Lots of love

    ReplyDelete