Thursday 7 July 2011

Settling In

23 Jun 11
We did a couple of trips into the local town in the morning to do a few bits and pieces and a foot patrol in the late afternoon looking for poacher sign or snares.  I found another old snare and removed it, but once again there was no fresh sign.  I did come across a couple of hippos grazing in the bush but they didn’t seem to concerned by us.  We gave them a wide berth anyway!  I only managed to get one photo because of the position of the sun and even though I have posted t below its not very clear.

Hippo in the bush during a patrol.  We backed off real quick!
We set another ambush last night with thankfully nothing to report.  It appears that the word is out there that the SanWild Farm is a hard target, so the poachers are keeping away.  So as a deterrent the anti-poaching program is working.  At least it means that I have time to enjoy the fantastic wildlife.  I think that one of the things that makes it quite surreal for me is that while the landscape and ‘bush’ is almost like northern Australia (although the plant species are different), and I feel quite comfortable here, all of a sudden a zebra or elephant etc appears.   
Anyway, I am cooking lunch today (our main meal) so I had better go.

No comments:

Post a Comment