Saturday 2 July 2011

My One Day in Jo’burg


19 Jun 11
Arrived in Johannesburg at about 0700 local time (7.5 hours behind NT Time) after a 13 hour flight as we had to detour a long way north to avoid the ash cloud.  Grabbed a Taxi to the Hotel Lamunu, where the staff very kindly let me check in early.  The rooms, while relatively small (but not too small!) were very flash.  The photos below show what you get for R600, about $85.00 per night.
My room at the Lamunu Hotel from the bathroom door (opening).

Bathroom at Lamunu Hotel (with shower big enough for two (or more)).


As I was determined not to give in to jet lag I booked a city tour for that afternoon on which I visited Soweto and the Apartheid Museum.  A very brief selection of photos are below. 


The Apartheid Museum in Jo'burg (Yes that is a gum tree in the photo - There are more Australian gum trees in Jo'burg than in Sydney!).

One of the 'squatter townships' on the outskirts of Soweto.

One of the original style of houses in Soweto built by the old South African Government for the Blacks under Apartheid.

 
As I didn’t have enough time to see everything at the Museum and there are still a lot of places around Jo’burg that I want to see I will come back for a longer visit later in the trip.



No comments:

Post a Comment